Tuesday, September 24, 2013

cappuccino in a jar, a turtle, a leech, and football

“Afterall," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." 
LM Montgomery


This morning, I was looking through my favorite fall cookbook from Mom, she bought it for me 10 years ago!  I found an intriguing recipe for "Cappuccino in a Jar".  I had all the ingredients in the cupboard so I went downstairs to get an empty quart-sized mason jar and mixed some up.

CAPPUCCINO IN A JAR
from Gooseberry Patch's cookbook, Flavors of Fall

2/3 cup instant coffee granules
1 cup chocolate drink mix
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg

Mix ingredients together; spoon into jar.  To make, add 3 tablespoons of mix to 6 ounces hot water.  Makes 10-12 servings.




 
I tried some right away and it was delicious.  I think it would make a lovely gift!  I plan on taking the jar with me to Bible study tomorrow for my friends there to enjoy at coffee time.
 
about the books : (I got a box from amazon.com today; with three new ones, memoirs, to look forward to reading.  I am also reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens and The Jesus I Thought I Knew, by Phillip Yancey.)
 
**************
 

In other news:  Seth and I found a turtle yesterday just sitting in the grass by the pond.  We rarely find them out of the ponds.  If they're out of water they are usually on a rock at the edge, sunbathing.  We said hello and picked it up.  It hissed quite quietly "hello" and waved all four legs to try to scratch itself out of our hands.








 
 
After taking it inside to show the workers, Seth promptly let it go downstairs in his big brothers' room.  It was forgotten until this morning when David found it and it was released back to the wild waters.......I just love life with boys and turtles!
 
I also took a variety of photos of a leech yesterday.  Oh yes indeedy.  It was attached to the poor turtle, I had never seen one before so I scraped it off him with a stick.  I hope you "enjoy" the pictures I took of it.  It was quite a fascinating creature, capable of stretching itself out or bunching itself up.
 


 

It was beginning to dry so I threw it in the stream, even though Rich thought I should kill it, I just couldn't.  I guess I bonded with it after all the photography. 

********************

One last bit of news. 
Jacob, our oldest son, played his first football game yesterday.  I homeschooled him for five years and he went into public school as a Freshman.  He is now a Junior (!!).  This is his first experience playing football and deep down in my heart I am petrified that he will be seriously hurt.  I am displaying a brave front for the moment and doing my best to keep his uniforms clean.....anyway.....he is quarterback for the jr. varsity team.   I took some pictures but I don't have any good ones of the action, as it was pretty hard to follow.  Plus I was only there for the last half hour because I was stuck at the eye doctor's with Grace.  Rich was there for the whole game though.

this one is funny, of Jacob directing the team.  it was interesting to hear him yell out calls and stuff.  he did great.
 
 

talking to one of the coaches on the sidelines, #9


very proud of him for trying new things and learning so much

they lost badly

 but it was a great experience; next game is Saturday.  my heart is touched when he asked over dinner last nigh,  "Are you gonna come to my game on Saturday, Mom?"  He wants me there.  :)   he's a good kid


I'll take pictures of Ethan playing soccer when he actually gets into a game.  He's been sidelined since last week with a hamstring injury.  I'm taking him to a physical therapist this afternoon.

Enjoy your day, my friends! 

Friends are the sunshine of life.  John Han

4 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at you bonding with the leech. :) I have a couple of those Gooseberry Patch books, and they always inspire me to cook or create something when I thumb through them. The Cappuccino recipe makes me want coffee! It looks delicious!

    Though I've never had an affinity for football, I was sort of forced to enjoy it because I was in the band. Still, seeing your pictures of Jacob and the football team make me feel nostalgic. He must be really good if he is the quarterback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mug and the books and really really want to flip through them to see what they are like! Very funny about the leech, we used to find them all the time when we went fishing with my Dad growing up, I do not have very fond memories of them and would have sided with Rich on that one! Football pics made me sad b/c he looks so so grownup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scrolled quickly past the leach photos. Ugh. lol

    That cappuccino looks tasty, I'll have to try it sometime.

    I know football can be scary as a mom, but I think it's cool you're letting him play anyway! I love to watch football, I can't imagine the fun of seeing my own kid out there doing it!

    ReplyDelete